Barrel Polishing

Mission Forums PF Gear Talk Barrel Polishing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crossbow
    Keymaster

Last weekend I tore into my KWA SR10 to resolve a sticky selector switch. Since it was apart I decided to try something I have heard about, Barrel Polishing.

For a baseline I cleaned the hopup and barrel, the target was at 80’, I shot 20 rounds, single shot, into each target. The first target was only a freshly cleaned barrel, the second was after I polished the barrel.

In the photos all the hits are circled to make them easy to see, and even when you toss out the 4 shots that are furthest away I think you will agree the polished barrel has a tighter group. There are 3 lines on each target with the distance from the hits in inches.

The KWA barrel is brass and after these results I polished a G&G that had a aluminum barrel and produced similar positive results.

I used a very high-grade low abrasive liquid metal polish and then followed up with some auto wax. The wax helps to keep the metal clean longer, a good tip for anyone who has brass or silver to polish, it protects against the acid from your skin so you don’t get finger prints as easily.

If anyone is interested I’ll take some pictures of the process next time I do one and post it. It only took a few minutes, though you do go through a bunch of patches.

Clean Barrel

Polished Barrel

• This topic was modified 12 years, 2 months ago by crossbow.
    • This topic was modified 12 years, 2 months ago by crossbow.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

How do you polish a Madbull Tightbore? I believe its made of fiberglass.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To polish fiberglass you need a clean, lint free soft cloth.

Period.

Any sort of abrasive, mild or otherwise, will cause the resins holding the fiberglass to become striated with microscopic grooves. Kind of the opposite of polished. Not that I’m Mr. Fiberglass, but I have worked with the stuff a few times. It’s a gnarly enough process… don’t *&^% with it.

Ricochet
    Keymaster

Boy when I saw barrel polishing I thought I was going to have to go in an delete the post due to NC-17 rating. 😆

Nice work though. Insert your own polishing barrel joke here cause I could think of a lot of them.

crossbow
    Keymaster

On a high quality precision barrel like the Madbull a good wax job may do the trick :mrgreen:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Barrel Polishing’ is closed to new replies.