Airsoft BB ballistics

Mission Forums PF Gear Talk Airsoft BB ballistics

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ricochet
    Keymaster

“What weight bb should I use?”
    “Why didn’t that guy way over there call his hits? It looks like I’m reaching him…”
    “My gun is shooting 392 FPS, how much will it cost to get to 400.000 FPS?”

The ballistics of a round spinning ball is horrible, but that is what we have to deal with. The airsoft trajectory is like a golf ball, it goes so far then just drops. If the guy isn’t calling hits, your bb’s are probably falling at his feet. Move up.

To understand bb ballistics, there is only one place you need to go.
    http://msed.bbbastard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=59

This work done by Nathan and all the bastards up in Canada is first class. One correction is that the energy calculated using a 0.2g bb is less than with a heavier bb, because the heavier bb is in the barrel longer when it is heavier and it receives more energy. At 550 FPS my sniper rifle delivers 2.8 J at the barrel with a 0.2g bb. A 0.4g bb leaves my barrel with 3.4 J. The difference is not a lot, but it does explain why long barrel rifles sting a little more.

This is why Llama likes 330 fps with 0.25- it is nearly silent and a flat trajectory out to 125 feet. 400 FPS gives another 20 feet.

On my AEG I like 400 FPS and overhop it a little for extra range. The initial drop in the trajectory usually means close target center of mass bursts hit the legs and avoids head shots. If you get hit by Llama, however, it is almost always in the chest because he runs a flatter trajectory.

So study up, move up, and have fun.

Phiz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘Airsoft BB ballistics’ is closed to new replies.